Monday, October 21, 2019

A little about Jeff and Lillian

Meeting your grandparents can be such an amazing thing, but also knowing who your great grandparents are is life changing. When I was born, I never got to meet my grandparents OR my great grandparents. I've heard plenty of stories about both but more so of just my grandparents.
My great grandparents who are Lillian and Jeff Alston both passed away way before I was born. Jeff died around 1947 and Lillian died around 1986.  My grandfather, Jeff even passed away way before my mom was born. I've been doing a little research about them and couldn't really find anything. Here's when I went to family members who might've knew a little more!
My grandmother Lillian Alston was married to Jeff Alston. They had five kids together whose name were Mildred Scott, Norman Alston, Jessie Mae Ransom (who is my grandmother), Robert Alston, and Vera Alston. All of them are now deceased. It is known that Jeff Alston was from Johnsonville, SC as well as Lillian which is where they met. They later moved to Lake City, SC where Jeff was a landowner.
My great grandfather Jeff owned a farm and a store called Alston's Grocery Store and owned property on Moore Street in Lake City, SC. He had two workers who worked on the farm that they called Smooke and RJ. After Jeff died from cancer, Smooke and RJ no longer wanted to work on the farm without him so they both joined the service. Jeff is buried on Highway 52 going from Kingstree, SC where I am from to Lake City, SC.
As far as my great grandmother Lillian Alston, she was born around 1906. She didn't really work. She was more of a housewife but she did seasonal work such as tying tobacco. She was a very religious woman who would try to go to church every Sunday. She died from a heart attack and she is buried in Rest Lawn Cemetery in Lake City, SC.
Even though I didn't find much information about them, this project made me want to do deeper research to know more about them as well as my grandparents! I don't have any pictures because the ones my aunt did have got burned in a house fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment